Pages

Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Eat Clean 2016 - Curried Lentil Stew

Hi Friends!

One of my New Year's Resolutions was to Eat (more) Clean. I don't know about you, but I get into major cooking ruts. I LOVE to bake, and then I love to eat health food, but I could go on steamed veggies errrnight, or when Jeff is away I am quite happy eating crackers and cheese, so I am trying my best to meal plan, prep and cook new fun recipes on the regular. It will help me stay on track that I now feel obligated to share them with you lol. Let me know if you try any that you like!

Tonight's creation was Curried Lentil Stew served on top of quinoa. It was husband approved, easy to make and quite tasty. I made it so quickly that I failed to take step by step pictures #sorry





Ingredients

3 Tbsp sunflower oil
1 small yellow onion, finely diced
1 tsp sea salt
2 Tbsp peeled and minced fresh ginger root 

3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
5 cups water
1⁄4 tsp chili pepper flakes
1 tsp curry powder
1⁄2 tsp turmeric
1⁄4 tsp ground cumin
1 cup dried red lentils
3 large carrots, peeled and diced
2 cups loosely packed fresh spinach

1 tsp freshly ground pepper


Directions

1. Heat the sunflower oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion and 1⁄2 tsp of salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.


2. Puree the ginger, garlic, and 1⁄4 cup of the water in a small food processor, and then add the puree to the onion in the sauté pan. Cook for 5 minutes more.


3. Add the chili flakes, curry, turmeric, and cumin, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.


4. Stir in the lentils, and the remaining 4 3⁄4 cup of water, cover, and cook over low heat for 30 minutes.


5. Add the carrots and the remaining 1⁄2 tsp of salt, and simmer for an additional 20 minutes.


6. Stir in the spinach and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.


7. Stir in the pepper. More water can be added to thin out the stew to easily pour over brown rice or quinoa. 



Recipe from: Delicious Detox 

No comments:

Post a Comment