Pages

Monday, November 4, 2013

Butternut Coconut Crockpot Curry

Good Morning, happy Monday!

You know what Monday means? It means yesterday was Crockpot Sunday. As the weather is getting colder and wedding plans are getting crazier the crockpot has become our best friend. Last week we got 3 days out of our chili! This weeks challenge: crockpot curry.

I found the following recipe, flew through the grocery store, threw things in the pot and voila!
I decided to add chicken and more of all the other ingredient as well...I have a hungry man to feed!

Butternut Coconut Curry Recipe

Ingredients: 


  • 1 cup chopped carrots
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons curry powder (add a little more) 
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt (add more and pepper to taste as well)
  • 1 medium butternut squash (about 2-1/2 pounds), cut into 1-inch cubes
  • 2-1/2 cups vegetable broth (I probably added 3 cups)
  • 3/4 cup coconut milk (I added 1 cup)
  • 1/2 cup uncooked basmati or jasmine rice (once everything was cooked I added 2 cups of cooked rice)

    1 lb boneless, skinless chicken chopped into big chunks

Directions

  1. In a large skillet, saute carrots and onion in oil until onion is tender. Add the brown sugar, curry, garlic, cinnamon, ginger and salt. Cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
  2. In a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker, combine the butternut squash, broth, coconut milk, rice, carrot mixture and raw chicken chunks. Stir and cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until rice is tender. Yield: 9 servings.
    *note squash melts into sauce so don't worry if sauce seems runny while it is cooking*

After scarfing down his bowl last night Jeff said, "you should totally blog about this, tell them how satisfied your man was!" haha so there you go, it got his stamp of approval! 


On another note...This is a very exciting week as today I finalize wedding catering, tomorrow finalize music and then onto the fun stuff, Thursday is my wedding shower and Saturday is my bachelorette party! I think it is all going to start feeling real now :)  ahh I cannot wait! I am also very lucky my maid of honor Nikey is coming to town to help celebrate this week! woo :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment